Hybrid Laboratory at the Intersection of Art, Science and Ecology
School of Creative Arts, The University of Windsor
Director, Dr. Jennifer Willet
2009 – Ongoing
INCUBATOR Hybrid Laboratory at the Intersection of Art, Science and Ecology is a physical and theoretical hub, a new art/science laboratory at The University of Windsor. Founded in 2009, it functions both as an apparatus in which environmental conditions can be controlled towards the assisted proliferation of life, but also as a site that supports the proliferation of new ideas – new artistic practices. Physically and metaphorically INCUBATOR serves as site for innovative productive and performative imaginings of biotechnology as a technology of the body – a complex ecology – that implicates each of us intellectually and biologically in the continued propagation of the life sciences.
INCUBATOR serves many practical functions:
- as a studio/lab to facilitate ongoing bioart research and production for INCUBATOR lab members at The University of Windsor.
- as an educational facility hosting the Bioart: Contemporary Art and the Life Sciences class annually, and graduate level instruction through the University of Windsor’s MFA program.
- as an exhibition venue, where biological artworks that cannot leave the lab can be viewed on an appointment basis.
- as an art installation challenging contemporary laboratory aesthetics.
- as a home base for a series of portable laboratories including: BioARTCAMP, The Banff Centre (2011).
INCUBATOR is grateful for support from the following organizations: SSHRC Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada, and The University of Windsor (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, School of Visual Arts, Centre for Teaching and Learning.)
JOIN INCUBATOR LAB IN CELEBRATING ITS NEW LOCATION!
School of Creative Arts, The Armouries, 37 University Ave. E
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.Come and join us for a BIG cabaret / Performance / Party called “Feasting the Lab” to commemorate the opening of the new INCUBATOR Lab in the School of Creative Arts at the University of Windsor. Including special guest Marta De Menezes, live entertainment, beverages and bites! See you January 20th, 2018 7:30-10:30. Be sure to arrive on time to catch the beginning of the show!